Summer: April 15th
Fall: June 1st
Spring: Nov 1st
Important Admissions Information
- must be at least 18 years old
- must have a passport that remains valid until at least 6 months after the program ends
- at least two semesters of university-level Spanish or equivalent independent study are strongly encouraged
We encourage applications from students who a) exhibit a history of commitment to grassroots political struggles, b) are highly motivated and open to new experiences, and c) come from low-income families, especially recent immigrants to North America.
Take the first steps to study in solidarity with Cuba:
Complete the online application
Pay the $25 application fee
What to expect from the application process:
• Reference Form: Ask two people (1 must be a professor, the other can be an activist or professor) to visit ausm.community/reference and complete the online form.
• Essay Responses: complete and return to studyabroad [at] ausm [dot] community
After we receive your references and essay questions, we will set up an over-the-phone or Zoom interview. If accepted into the program, you will be asked to complete the following steps:
• Confirmation of Participation: Within two weeks of your official acceptance, you must send in the completed last page of this document and make a $500 non-refundable deposit to secure your place on the program
• Approval of Participation: You and your study abroad office, academic advisor, or the Registrar will fill this out to ensure credit transfer upon successful completion of the program.
• Medical Form: You and your physician will complete this form in conjunction with a recent medical examination.
• Forward us your official flight confirmation with a hi-resolution color copy of your passport attached in one email.
• Emergency Travel Insurance: Anyone entering Cuba must have health insurance upon arrival. Your airline ticket should include a 30-day insurance policy. Please request proof of insurance from the airline. AUSM will purchase health insurance to cover the remainder of the program in Cuba.
• Visa: You will need a tourist visa to enter Cuba. Some airlines will require you purchase the visa through them, while others will have you purchase it through this service for a cost of $85.
We will send orientation materials and pre-program readings a month before the program starts.