Fall: Extended to June 15th
Spring: November 1st
Summer: March 15th
Important Admissions Information
- be at least 18 years old
- have at least two semesters of university-level Spanish or equivalent independent study
- have a passport that remains valid until at least 6 months after the program ends
We encourage applications from students who: a) exhibit a history of commitment to grassroots political struggles, b) are highly motivated and open to new experiences, and c) come from low-income families, especially recent immigrants to North America.
Take the first steps to study in solidarity with Cuba:
Complete the online application
Pay the $25 application fee
What to expect from the application process:
After you submit the online application and pay the $25 application fee, we will contact you to complete the next steps:
(NOTE: For best results, use the most current Adobe Reader (download here) for filling out and saving the fillable .pdf forms)
• Reference Form: Ask two people (1 must be a professor, the other can be an activist or professor) to visit ausm.community/reference and complete the online form.
• Essay Responses: complete and return to studyabroad [at] ausm [dot] community
After we received your references and essay questions, we will set up an over-the-phone or Skype interview. If accepted into the program, you will be asked to complete the following steps:
• Confirmation of Participation: within two weeks of your official acceptance, you must send in the completed last page of this document and make a $500 non-refundable deposit to secure your place on the program
• Approval of Participation: You and your study abroad office, academic advisor, or Registrar will fill this out to ensure credit transfer upon successful completion of the program.
• Medical Form: You and your physician will complete this form in conjunction with a recent medical examination.
• Forward us your official flight confirmation with a hi-resolution color copy of your passport attached in one email.
• Emergency Travel Insurance: Anyone entering Cuba must have health insurance upon arrival. Your airline ticket should include a 30-day insurance policy. Please request proof of insurance from the airline. AUSM will purchase health insurance to cover the remainder of the program in Cuba.
We will send orientation materials and pre-program readings a month before the program starts.